This fish curry is so simple to make, and perfect for a quick and easy midweek meal. It’s ready in less than 30 minutes and its bursting with flavor. Continue reading
Today we are doing vegetarian bowls! Continue reading
Chickpeas are a great source of protein, and this easy chickpea salad is full of great flavor. I love having chickpeas in a salad as it makes any salad more filling. There is a little sweetness from the sauteed red onions with a light lime-herb flavor. Its super easy to throw together, and makes a fresh, protein-packed side dish.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked or 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2-inch fresh ginger root, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- salt, pepper to taste
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs (parsley, cilantro), chopped
- green salad to serve
- toppings: dried unsweetened cranberries, toasted almonds, and feta cheese
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper and cumin and saute for 3-5 minutes. Add the pepper flakes, lime juice, and tomato paste and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, and fresh herbs and remove from the stove. Stir well, transfer to a serving bowl, drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil on top.
- Serve over a bed of green salad with cranberries, toasted almonds and feta cheese.
Last night I made this super easy dinner with a little help from Target. I picked up a jar of Archer Farm’s Roasted Salsa Verde that inspired me to make these absolutely delicious chicken tacos. You can also serve this chicken over the rice, as a filling for enchiladas or in lettuce wraps for a lighter alternative. 3 ways to cook chicken: 2 hours in the slow cooker on high, simmered on the stove for an hour or 25 minutes in the pressure cooker on high. Served with zesty cabbage slaw and sweet and tangy mango salsa. Its quick, easy, light and refreshing!
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes to 2 hours
- 1 1/2 lbs skinless chicken breasts
- 16 oz roasted salsa verde ( I used Archer Farms from Target)
- salt to taste
- warm tortillas to serve
Season chicken with a little salt and place it in the bottom of the slow cooker or pressure cooker or a pot if cooking on the stove. Cover with salsa verde, cover and cook per your method of cooking ( 2 hours in the slow cooker on high, simmered on the stove for an hour or 25 minutes in the pressure cooker on high). Remove chicken and shred with 2 forks. Add liquid from cooking the chicken back to the shredded chicken, about 1/2 cup or more ( it should be moist but not soupy). Adjust seasoning to taste.
Cabbage Slaw with Honey Lime Vinaigrette:
- 4 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup carrot, grated
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
Honey Lime Vinaigrette:
- Juice if one lime, about 1/4 cup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt, pepper to taste
Blend all ingredients together until emulsified. Drizzle the honey lime vinaigrette over the cabbage slaw and toss.
- 1 mango, peeled and chopped (pinch of brown sugar if mango is not very ripe)
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and chopped ( or to taste)
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- pinch of salt and pepper
Mix everything together.
How to heat taco shells and tortillas:
Hard taco shells: Bake 4 minutes at 350 degrees F, or microwave 45 seconds
Soft 6-inch corn or flour tortillas: Heat in a dry skillet or on the grill, 30 seconds per side, or wrap in foil and bake 10 minutes at 400 degrees F. You can also wrap in a damp towel and microwave 1 minute.
Serve the chicken in tortillas with cabbage slaw and mango salsa.