Over the years, I tried different marinades for the flank steak depending on what mood I was in and what was in the kitchen. For this one, though, I tried to be deliberate and make something with a middle-eastern flair. I marinated the steak over night in red wine vinegar, lemon juice, allspice, oregano, cinnamon, nutmeg fresh parsley and garlic, and then quickly grilled it to perfection. It was very tender and juicy. I served it on the top of the chickpeas and sun-dried tomatoes salad, which were a perfect addition to this meal. This simple marinade is sure to become your go-to for grilling. Hope you use it the next time your grill!
Middle Eastern Flank Steak with Chickpeas and Sun-Dried Tomatoes Salad
- 2 1 pound beef flank steaks
Flank Steak Marinade:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
Chickpeas and Sun-dried Tomatoes Salad
- 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2-inch fresh ginger root, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- salt, pepper to taste
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs (parsley, cilantro), chopped
- ~3 cups green salad to serve
- fresh tomatoes, cucumber, red bell pepper, radishes to serve
- toppings: toasted pine nuts, and feta cheese
Grilled Flank Steak:
- In a small bowl combine the steak marinade ingredients. Rub the marinade over steak on both sides. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 hours or better overnight.
- Make the salad first (recipe below), then grill the steak.
- Preheat the grill on high heat. Place the meat on the hot grill and do not touch it for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes are up, turn the meat over and cook for another 3 minutes. This should give you medium rare on the ends and rare in the middle. If you prefer it a little more done, increase the cooking time on each side to 4 minutes. Do not over cook as the steak will be tough. The meat should be seared on the outside, pink and juicy on the inside.
- When the meat is done, remove it from the grill and place it on the cutting board. Let it rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with the salad.
Chickpeas and Sun-dried tomatoes Salad:
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper and cumin and saute for 3-5 minutes. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, pepper flakes, lemon juice, and tomato paste and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and sauté for couple of minutes. Add fresh herbs and remove from the stove. Stir well, transfer to a serving bowl, drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil on top.
- Serve over a bed of green salad with your choice of veggies like tomatoes, cucumbers, red bell peppers, and radishes. Top it with pine nuts and feta cheese.