Spring is finally here and the arrival of warmer weather had inspired me to create some innovative salad combinations that combine some of my favorite cuisines. Don’t get me wrong, we are still a primarily meat based household, but every now and again you like to go to the lighter side. No reason that healthy needs to be boring. This salad is topped with a ginger peanut dressing that brings the combination of zesty, tangy, sweet and salty straight from Southern Asia and combines the textures of crunchy vegetables and earthy kale, to make each bite an adventure.
Rainbow Chopped Salad with Ginger Peanut Dressing
- ~ 5 cups baby kale
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced (you can use red, orange or yellow bell pepper, or all 3 like I did)
- 1 green onions, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup cashew halves or peanuts
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup all natural creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce, gluten-free if desired
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon agave or honey (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons water to thin, if necessary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk all dressing ingredients in a small bowl. This dressing will keep well for up to 3 days.
- Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour the dressing to your taste over the salad and toss to coat. Enjoy immediately!