The thing I love most about this salad is how easily it comes together, and how it’s loaded with delicious good-for-you ingredients. I usually make a double batch of chickpeas and use half for the salad, and save the other half for snacking. These baked chickpeas are both tasty and healthy. I tossed them with a little olive oil, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper and some tomato paste, then roasted them in the oven until crunchy. This salad can be easily made with ingredients that you may already have in your kitchen! I had some cucumbers, tomatoes, red pepper and some radishes that I tossed with a simple vinaigrette of olive oil, lemon juice, red vinegar, a touch of honey, and some fresh herbs.Top it with some crunchy chickpeas and your dinner is ready! I think feta cheese will be a great addition as well.
Vegetable Salad with Crunchy Spiced Chickpeas
Oven roasted chickpeas
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, thoroughly drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Pinch cayenne pepper ( use more if you like it spicy)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 small cucumbers, diced (like persian cucumbers)
- 1 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2-3 radishes, sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, seeded and ribs removed, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley or cilantro ( or use both), chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Heat the oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Pat the chickpeas dry between a folded kitchen towel to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and toss with “oven roasted chickpeas” ingredients until evenly coated. Spread the chickpeas in an even layer on a baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 30 to 40 minutes, shaking the pan every 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Mix all the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a jar or sealable container, mix all the dressing ingredients, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over salad and toss lightly.
- Spoon the crunchy chickpeas on top.