As the dog days of summer set in, I was looking for something that would be light, but still be filling. I decided to combine summer flavors and a cheese from south of the boarder. Firm and salty cotija cheese is a great standby ingredient for turning a simple salad into a special dish. Halloumi cheese is also great for frying. In this recipe the cheese is fried briefly and then tossed with sweet corn and juicy grapes, which compliment it’s flavor and texture. I used a simple lemon oil dressing and added a little bit of almonds for a crunch. Serve with fresh bread for lunch or a light dinner.
Cotija Cheese, Roasted Corn and Grape Salad
- 6 cups of your favorite greens (lettuce, arugula, spinach etc.)
- 6 slices of Queso Del Valle Cotija cheese or Halloumi cheese
- 1 ear grilled sweet corn, kernels removed from cob
- 1 cup seedless grapes, halved
- 1 small shallot, sliced
- 1/4 cup unsalted almonds, chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus 2 tablespoons for frying the cheese
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh herbs (basil, dill or parsley)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, toss the greens, corn, grapes, fresh herbs and shallots.
- Thinly slice the cheese. Heat a large non stick frying pan. Add oil and the sliced cheese and cook briefly until it starts to turn golden brown. Turn the cheese and cook the cheese on the other side until is golden brown.
- Arrange the fried cheese over the salad on the plate. Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, agave and season with salt and pepper and pour over the dressing. Add almonds if using and serve immediately while the cheese is still hot.