Sunny days and long evenings make an ideal time to get together with family and friends for a BBQ dinner or relaxing pool party. When the weather is warm and the days are long, nobody feels like going into a lot of trouble, so I am bringing you another delicious and simple dish from my backyard to yours. Chicken skewers are all too often dry and flavorless, but this chill coconut spice sauce ensures this chicken satay is anything but. The Chili Coconut Spice Sauce adds a wonderful favor to the chicken satay. I also used it as a dipping sauce instead of traditional peanut sauce. Don’t be intimidated by the laundry list of ingredients! Most of this recipe itself calls for throwing everything into a blender and blending away. So the next time you have guests over, why not treat them to some really yummy and easy to make, chicken satay! I am bringing these delicious Chicken Satay over to Angie’s Fiesta Friday. This week Fiesta Friday is co-hosted by Prudy @ Butter, Basil and Breadcrumbs and Jes @ Cooking Is My Sport. Enjoy!!!
Minced Chicken Satay with Chili Coconut Spice Sauce
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Lime wedges, for serving
- 8-10 stalks fresh lemongrass stalks or wood or metal skewers
Chili Coconut Spice Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lemongrass stalk, tender white inner bulbs only, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1-2 fresh red or green jalapeño chili, seeded and chopped ( or to taste)
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Asian fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened flaked dried coconut
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon agave nectar
- To make Chili Coconut Spice Sauce: Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet with the shallots, garlic, lemongrass, ginger and chilies; cook over low heat, stirring, until softened, 3 minutes.
- Stir in soy sauce, fish sauce, cumin, coriander, paprika, nutmeg and turmeric and cook until fragrant, 3 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk, lime juice, coconut flakes and agave nectar. Remove from the heat and let it cool.
- Transfer to a blender and puree the sauce.
- To make Chicken Satay: Combine ground chicken, breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup chili coconut spice sauce, salt and pepper in a large bowl and toss gently until homogenous.
- Trim root ends from lemon grass. Trim tops to make stalks 6-8 inches long. Remove coarse outer leaves.
- Mound about 1/4 cup chicken mixture around thick end of each lemon grass stalk or 2 tablespoons one end of each soaked wood skewers. Gently squeeze chicken mixture into a log around each stalk or skewer. Cover exposed ends of lemon grass with foil.
- Heat the grill to high. Lay chicken skewers on a lightly oiled grill. Cook, turning as needed to brown evenly, 5-6 minutes. Serve with a Chili Coconut Spice Sauce and lime wedges.