Aromatic but subtle blend of South American coffee and Mexican chilies which create a perfect mix of familiar yet exotic taste. Can be served as a steak complimented with grilled vegetables or as the centerpiece for Latin American dishes or salads. The coffee enhances the rich taste of beef and leave your taste buds wanting more. Keep the leftover rub in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 months.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
- 1 tablespoon finely ground dark roast coffee ( or use your favorite coffee)
- 1 tablespoon chile powder
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt or to taste
- Two strip steaks ( I had two steaks 0.7 lb each)
- In a small bowl, stir together the coffee, chile powder, brown sugar, paprika, cumin, and salt until evenly mixed. Rub the mixture on all sides of the steaks. Let steaks sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Grill the steaks over moderate heat, turning once, until they are charred outside and medium-rare within, about 10-12 minutes. Transfer to a clean plate and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Adopted from “Food and Wine” with small changes.