The dust of the holidays is now beginning to settle, and 2014 is starting to take a shape. Lets keep this new year fresh feeling all year long! And talking about fresh, I thought i would make something light and fresh for dinner the other day. This salad really hits all corners of your palate and compliments the scallops very well.Serves 2 Preparation time: 20-25 minutes Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 2 cups baby kale (or use you favorite greens)
- 2 cups corn kernels, shaved from 2 ears of corn
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded (if seeds are mature), and thinly sliced
- 1 cup bell peppers (red, yellow, orange), seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons mild, soft goat cheese, crumbled (or to taste)
Champagne Orange Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon agave nectar or honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt, pepper to taste
Blend all ingredients together until emulsified. Makes about 1/2 cup.
- 8 sea scallops, pat dry with paper towel
- Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season the scallops with salt and pepper. Sear the scallops on both sides for 1-2 minutes, but don’t overcook. Transfer to a platter and squeeze a little fresh lemon juice.
- In a large bowl, combine the salad ingredients, except for goat cheese. Drizzle the champagne orange vinaigrette over them, season with salt and pepper, and toss. Add the scallops and sprinkle on the goat cheese before serving.