Meatloaf is a quintessential comfort food. Whether served with mashed potatoes or eaten as a sandwich, meatloaf is a versatile and budget friendly food. Meatloaf is an an American classic food that we all love and enjoy. This recipe is a traditional Meatloaf with Mediterranean twist! Tangy, moist, moderately spicy and absolutely delicious!Makes 1 loaf Preparation time: 30 minutes Cooking time: 1 hour
1 tablespoon oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 pounds ground beef
1/2 tablespoon cumin powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cayenne or to taste
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper or to taste
½ cup plain bread crumbs
1 medium apple, grated (I used Fuji)
¼ cup tomato paste
2 eggs, lightly beaten
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
Mix 1 part of pomegranate molasses with 2 part of regular ketchup
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet and sauté the onions and garlic for 10 minutes until golden. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine onions and garlic and the rest of the ingredients, except ground beef for the meatloaf. Add ground beef and mix the ingredients until you have a light paste (do not overmix).
- Place meatloaf paste into a loaf pan or baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place it in the oven and bake for 50 minutes.
- Pull out the oven rack and spread the pomegranate ketchup over the top of the meatloaf. Push back into the oven and bake for 10 more minutes or until the tester comes out clean.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes on a cooling rack.
- Serve with Persian mashed potatoes, green beans or salad.